Fiance(e) Immigration Visa


As a U.S. citizen, you may file to bring your foreign national fiancé(e) to the United States for the purpose of marriage and permanent relocation to the U.S. (If your fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the United States, you do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa.)

Your foreign national fiancé(e) is also entitled to be accompanied by his/her children.

The Fiancé(e) Immigrant Visa allows your fiancé(e) to enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place. Once you marry, your spouse (and his/her children) may apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while USCIS processes the application.


  • You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.
  • You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.
  • You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
  • You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
    • If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your culture or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
    • If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.